Doctor's Orders

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Register your character accounts with full name in all lowercase. If your character's name exceeds the username character limit, contact an administrator to discuss the alternative. Example: jane elizabeth doe

Tips and Tricks: Writing Medical Based Topics

S A M A N T H A
    S A M A N T H A
    Admin
    Admin

Player Name/Alias : Samantha
    Graphics Credit : signature gifs by studjolras @ Tumblr

Tips and Tricks: Writing Medical Based Topics Empty Tips and Tricks: Writing Medical Based Topics

Post by S A M A N T H A Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:45 am

On a medical based site such as this one, many of the topics are going to take place in the hospital, or some other medical facility, such as the doctor or dentist's office. It is important that these topics include the proper detail, as they are the foundation for a site like this. So, here's a few tips and tricks, (and personal pet peeves) for writing a medical based topic:

• Do your research. Decide with you rp partner ahead of time what is going to be wrong with the patient, look up the symptoms, how they're treated, and how the treatments are done WebMD is great for this, as is Mayo Clinic. You can look up a disease, or disorder, and then read up on causes, symptoms, and treatments. Once you know what treatments are done, Google them to find out how they're done, and you're set!

• Not sure what disorder, or disease to use for a character? Pop a few symptoms into the WebMD Symptom Checker, or the Mayo Clinic Symptom Checker, and it will give you a list of what could cause these symptoms. These things come in handy, trust me.

• Do at least a little work on your character's medical history. Just as it is important to a doctor treating you in reality, it's important to the doctor treating your character. Is their immune system weak? Do they know why? Is there any condition that runs in their family? Are they in the hospital, or making doctor's appointments often? Are they on any medication? How long have they been taking it? Think about these things, and have your character bring them up to the doctor, just as you would bring them up to your own. Not only does it add more detail to the topic, but it shows your skill, and thoughtfulness as a writer to go that deep into your character's background.

• Personal pet peeve here, but for the love of all things chocolate, if a doctor is looking down your character's throat, take two seconds to add the "Ahh" to their reply post. If you're writing with me, and one of my doctors is the one doing the exam, my character will ask again for it to be said. If it isn't written, then it isn't said, and it needs to be. Please. Just. Add. It.

• Okay, so we know there is probably going to be a lot of testing done in most situations, and it's understandable that you wouldn't want to write all of it, but at least write some of it, and mention what you decided to skip over. For example, if a character needs blood work, a CT scan, and an ultrasound, mention them having the blood work and the CT, and skip to them waiting for the ultrasound if you want to, if that's where they're going to discover exactly what is causing the symptoms. As a basic rule/guide skipping over and merely mentioning earlier tests is fine, but write out whatever is supposed to finally determine the cause. This way you can get the doctor's reaction when they see it, and go more in depth.

• If you're having trouble with research for something, and you can't seem to find what you need, message me. I'd be more than happy to do the research for you, and send you what I find. Remember though, that some disorders are fairly new, and don't have much research on them, but just because there isn't much about it, doesn't mean it isn't real.

I'll probably add more to this if I think of anything else. If you have and questions, or have some tips and tricks of your own you'd like me to add, feel free to message me!

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:43 pm